Don't be left out!

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Morsel Combat

I'm so excited for this evening.  A good friend has invited me to attend an amazing event in Des Moines  tonight called Morsel Combat.  Think of this event as Des Moines' version of a healthy Top Chef that raises money for the hungry.  Sample healthy bites from local chefs and help raise money for hungry Iowans….what's not to love about that?



Morsel Combat is an event that was created by bringing two very important Iowa initiatives together:

taken from Morsel Combat's website
Here is how it works…. each local chef bring all their own ingredients and prepares a dish meeting the Iowa's Healthiest State Initiative guidelines, as mentioned above.  They serve the guests (including me) bite size samples.  After sampling all the different dishes, guests place their vote for the people's choice winner.  In addition there is a panel of four hand picked official judges to determine the ultimate winner of Morsel Combat.


And let's not forget that while I'm sampling deliciously healthy bites, the proceeds will go to Meals from the Heartland to help feed the hungry!

What a great concept to bring these two issues, health and hunger, together.  It's amazing to stop and think about how food, both too much and too little can have such an impact on our lives.

I am honored to attend this event and can't wait to share a follow up with you.  You bet your butt I'll be taking notes for healthy recipes to bring back home!

Your turn:  Do you have a Top Chef type competition in your area?




1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a cool event, I can't wait to hear how it went. We have a few things like that around here, but they are usually coupled with wine/beer tastings, at least those are the ones I have been to and seen, but they def. aren't looking to make super healthy items and the money doesn't go to such a great cause. I absolutely LOVE this, I have to see if there is one like it in our area!

    ReplyDelete