Don't be left out!

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

"All About That Bass": Body Positive Music?

Last week a mature debate started when Mandie from Women Are Hungry posted her thoughts on Meghan Trainor's summer hit, "All About That Bass".  Trainor's song has found residency on iTunes top ten singles for many, many weeks now but it seems it's stirring up quite the conversation.


Fans of the song claim it's a much needed, upbeat, retro sounding tune that celebrates thick(er) women while critics are turned off about terms like, "skinny bitches" and "boys like…". One online publication even rewrote her lyrics for her to be more inclusive.

Do I like the song?  Yes.  Am I offended by it?  No.  Do I have way more offensive music in my library than this? Yes. Actually, I'd be embarrassed to share some of the lyrics in the songs I listen to.  Do I critique every single line of every song I listen to like some have with Trainor's song?  No.

Do I think you should like the song?  I don't know- that's for you to decide.

While I do enjoy the song, what I really enjoy is discussion that's surrounding it.

Regardless of what side of the argument you fall on, I hope we can agree that phrases like "skinny bitches", offensive or not, aren't necessary, and insulting someone else to prove a point should never be in vogue.

While I do think that Meghan Trainor's song had good intentions to promote a body positive image for girls and women, music that promotes self-love isn't a new concept. As my friend powerlifting blogger friend, Janis,  pointed out there are many songs and musicians that have been around for years that promote self-love, compassion for our bodies and acceptance without throwing stones at others.

So if you found you found yourself disappointed in Trainor's song (or even if you didn't), check out these top picks for body positive music for an instant mood boost!

"Video" India Aire:  


"Freckles" Natasha Bedingfield


"Try"  Colbie Caillat


"Brave"  Sara Bareilles


"Shake It Off" Taylor Swift


Your turn:  What's your favorite body positive song?

No comments:

Post a Comment