I received the City of Des Moines City Source newsletter in the mail last week I was floored with the number of family activities offered around the city over the summer, with most of them free and open to the public!
It got me thinking about all the fun summer fitness opportunities we have in the area so I did what any type A person would do…. I made a list! :)
Here are my 20 top summer fitness bucket list events happening in the Des Moines area:
- Safely practice your climbing skills at Climb Iowa.
- Yoga in the Park is a Gray's lake tradition that can't be missed.
- Participate, spectate or come to just get inspired. You don't want to miss the Hy-Vee Triathlon. (The expo is great too)
- Walk the two mile loop around Gray's Lake at least once.
- Bike, eat, bike. Taco Tuesday bike ride combines my two favorites exercising and eating!
- Who knew exercise could be so fun? Jumping at Sky Zone isn't just for the kids.
- Get out of playground rut and explore a new park in your neighborhood.
- Zumba by the Lake is 45 minutes of dancing that will start your weekend off right!
- Jester Park Natural Playscape isn't the traditional playground but your kids will still love it!
- Grab some fresh food, flowers and take a stroll around the Downtown Farmer's Market.
- Take a ride on the 1/2 mile long, 13 stories high Trestle Bridge.
- Enter (or just watch, but you really could enter) the Iowa State Fair bench/deadlift contest.
- With multiple distances to choose from Swim The Bridge is a swim race many can enjoy.
- Check out the lululemon Des Moines Showroom for community yoga every Saturday morning.
- With meet ups ranging from bike rides to smoothies at supplement shops, Fuel is an amazing group full of healthy minded females.
- Even if you've done it before, The Color Run never gets old.
- Be sure to keep an eye on FIT's calendar. Owner Marya and her team are always coming up with creative ways to sweat for charity.
- Interested in trying your hand at stand up paddle boarding? Check out the demo day at Gray's Lake on June 15th from 10-2.
- Reconnect and relax with Meditation Around Town. It's free, no experienced required and meets in a new, unique setting each session.
- Kids ages 9-14 can get a taste of tennis with free tennis lessons from the National Junior Tennis League and Des Moines Park and Rec.
Your turn: What would you add to the list?