Don't be left out!

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Non Scale Victories

I'll admit I used to live and die by the scale.  If the number was in my comfort zone or lower, I was happy.  If the number was higher than expected/desired I was miserable.  Seriously, ask my husband.  I'm sure he could have guessed my weight within three pounds just based off my mood.

I'd weigh myself daily, sometimes twice daily, before exercise, after exercise, before the shower, after the shower, before the bathroom, after the bathroom (don't act like you haven't).  I was obsessed with those three digest on the scale.

It wasn't until I setting non weight related goals that my focus shifted from the scale to strength.  I became more concerned with gaining strength and losing body fat and let number on the scale fall to the weigh side and guess what?  I feel better, look better and have more confidence than I've ever had in my life.  Want proof?  Check out the difference in these photos I took last year.



In fact, if it weren't for powerlifting and wanting to keep my weight close to my desired competition weight class I'd probably toss my scale out altogether!

If you're a slave to the scale like I used to be I'd encourage you to explore some non-scale victories  (achievements that can't be measured on the scale) that you can work towards.  Here are some ideas of non-scale victories either myself or clients have achieved in the past.

  • Run a 5k
  • Fit into a "x" size jeans
  • Lift "x" amount of weight
  • Drink a gallon of water each day
  • Do "x" pull up(s)
  • Climbing a flight of stairs without getting winded
  • Being able to wear/resizing wedding ring
  • Sleeping better
Exercising and eating right has many benefits and weight loss is only one of the many.  Sometimes the scale reflects your hard work and sometimes it takes a while to catch up but don't get discouraged.  Stay on track and you're bound to see success, maybe where you least expect it.  

Your turn: What's your favorite non-scale victory you've ever experienced?

2 comments:

  1. I try to stay off the scale as much as possible. It sure can mess with your mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be obsessed with the scale, years ago. Now I just get on it just once a week if that. My hubby is actually worse at getting on the scale. he has always been very weight conscious.
    My favorite non-scale victory would be completing my first full marathon! I actually gained weight during that training and one of the first times in my life where I didn't care about that number on the scale!

    ReplyDelete