Don't be left out!

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

InstaScam?

Last year I wrote this article cautioning social media users to keep an eye out for fitness scammers highlighting their "progress" when really their "progress" is just a spray tan, good lighting and a flattering photo filter.

Clearly, I don't know how to take selfies or a straight photo.
Look, I did it again!  Follow me! Check out my progress!  I switched tanks, flexed and added a really nice filter!  :)

Of course I don't think all IG accounts are scams and there are a lot of amazingly inspiring "success stories" out there but unfortunately the Internet is still filled with accounts that are just full of crap.  Pure crap.

I'm not just talking about progress pictures either.  Videos and blogs flood the Internet produced by people claiming they know what they're doing.  Are there certified fitness professionals behind these posts?  Some, yes.  Are there individuals who are maybe not certified but have a fair amount of knowledge about nutrition and/or lifting technique?  Sure.  Are there people who  know absolutely nothing about technique/nutrition making health related posts?  Yes.  Yes, there are people like that on the Internet and those are the people I'm talking about.

I'm sure you're thinking, "Annie, why do you care what others are posting?".  I care for many reasons.  My primary reason being safety.  I'd never want any of you (yes, YOU, even though we may not personally know each other) to perform a move incorrectly and risk injury or to try an unsafe diet because some guy/girl with flat abs told you that's what they do.

I don't want anyone being tricked into believing false information especially when it comes to your health.  It's one of my goals to provide factual, useful information on this blog so you can make informed decisions about your diet and your training.  At the risk of sounding cheesy, it's like the old proverb goes, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."  


A little humor for you 
With that said I love using social media sites like InstaGram for finding new recipes, workouts, exercises, motivation, and of course a good laugh.  There are a ton of great accounts to follow.  Just be sure to use your best judgement before applying their methods to your routine. *And I include myself in that statement.  If a recipe or workout I share doesn't help you reach your goals then move on!  

Below are some of my favorite accounts.  Are they all fitness professionals?  No.  But they are all accounts that I have found useful for the reasons mentioned above.  Take a look!  

Oh yea, follow me too while you're at it!  

Your turn:  Do you have a favorite InstaGram account you follow for fitness/health information, motivation or entertainment?





   






4 comments:

  1. I just started using IG and I haven't gotten too into it yet. I've seen a few "how to's" on how people fake before and after photos and it's such a disappointment that people would even go to those lengths.

    Also, that Ron Swanson quote is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, I never thought about the photo manipulation that can occur. I'm not an IG user, but its good to hear that some people's results are not necessarily as they appear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT. So true. Thanks for posing cute, but you're not fooling anyone, IG users. Be real.
    ::)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh I am so naive. I would never have thought that the photos in IG would be altered!! What a ding dong I am...I honestly just do Instagram and keep my pics normal...I have no time to filter and shape and crop and all that other stuff...just snap a photo and go...If my followers like the real deal, than I am good to go :) Great post Annie

    ReplyDelete