Don't be left out!

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Can't live without...

Valentine's Day may have come and gone but love is still in the air.  I know I said I'd post about my favorite push-up variations but I'm nursing a sore shoulder.  As soon as it's better I promise to post about push-ups, which I really do love.

Until then, I thought I'd give you a list of the top 5 training items/resources I can't live without.  These are things we use (close to) everyday, they've enhanced our workouts and we want to share them with you!

Annie's top 5: (John will post his tomorrow!)

1. Yurbuds: John and I both have the Performance Fit Yurbuds.  I can't say enough about them.  If you aren't familiar with them, they are high quality head phones that fit in your ear.  They have small, rubbery pieces that fit on them so they fit snugly inside your ear which results in excellent quality of sound, they won't fall out and they don't hurt.  I'll be honest, sadly I lost my little rubber ends to them and even without them they are still my favorite head phones. I love my music loud and with the great sound these provide, I find that I don't have to turn up the volume as much to get the same effect.

2.   Polar FT40:  This little baby right here keeps track of your heart rate, total calories burned (even calculates fat calories burned), total activity time, maximum heart rate, average heart rate, it stores your workouts for up to a month...I could go on and on why I love this watch/heart rate monitor.  I primarily use heart rate to gage how hard I'm working especially during cardio sessions.  This is so much easier and convenient to use then hanging on to the sensors on the machine and/or checking my pulse when needed.

3.  Bodybuilding.com:  I quickly learned that the breakdown of my macro nutrients (protein, carbs, fats) that Ryan from Nutrisport recommends was a little lower in the carbohydrate category then I was used to.  Bodybuilding.com has a great nutrition site full of recipes that are actually really good.  I love that their articles are quick and easy to read and apply to your diet.  Check out this article about beef.  I had to refer to this when I brought home a few round eye cuts of meat from the deli.  They looked lean but I had no idea the best way to prepare them.  The article recommend I marinate them overnight.  They turned out delicious.  I also have to put a plug in for Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer also on 
bodybuilding.com.  Jamie's LiveFit program was the my first strength program I did post baby number two.  It was exactly what I was looking for- I needed someone/something to spell out exactly what exercises to do, how many reps, sets, order, etc.  Her LiveFit program, in my opinion is a great resource if you are looking to incorporate or ramp up your strength routine.  She has many workouts you can do from home or gym, and has detailed videos or instructions for each exercise...not to mention it's TOTALLY FREE! And please, don't be turned off by the words "bodybuilding" you aren't going to end up looking like the hulk without some serious work.  :)


4.  Pandora: I would be dead broke and probably with out a husband if I bought a song on iTunes every time I wanted so in an effort to keep my hubby and save some money I use the pandora app to create stations that suit my mood.  I use the preset stations as well as plenty of my own customized play lists.  My only complaint is of course the ads but considering they're usually 30 seconds or less I'll get over it.  And on a side "mommy note" they have great children's stations like Disney movie soundtracks.  Check it out!  

5.   Oxygen Magazine: Some gush over Vougue or Glamour magazines, I gush over  Oxygen (although Muscle and Fitness Hers is a close second).  The training articles are useful and totally applicable to most women with or without a gym membership.  They have great recipes and the "models" in there are so inspirational.  My favorite section is "Are You Next?"- found close to the back.  They usually share tips, training advice and favorites from eight real life women, not models.  I love reading what these women do for a living.  The majority of them are in their thirties, moms and have a career outside the house.  I find it very motivational and is a good reminder each month that my goals are totally attainable if I'm willing to put in the work.  


Now it's your turn, tell me what your "favorites" are?
     



No comments:

Post a Comment